Preservatives refer to chemicals that can prevent or inhibit the development and growth of pathogenic microorganisms. Simply put, preservatives help prevent the growth of microorganisms, especially bacteria and fungi that can cause disease or infection. The ones used in various liquid preparations and semi-solid preparations are often called preservatives, and those used in eye drops and injections are called bacteriostatic agents. CD Formulation provides customers with various excipient molecules. Our pharmacy or other professional researchers and experimenters are constantly developing new product solutions. We can custom preservatives excipients for customers, and we can also provide customers provide solutions for drug development research.
The existing preservatives are usually organic mercury and alcohols according to their chemical structure and properties.
Different types of preservatives have different mechanisms of action. Alcohol preservatives mainly denature, precipitate or coagulate pathogenic microorganism proteins; parabens and acids are mainly combined with pathogenic microorganism enzyme systems to affect or block their metabolism. In order to improve the bactericidal and bacteriostatic ability of preservatives, compound preservatives are sometimes used to expand the scope of bactericidal and bacteriostatic spectrum and make the effect strong and rapid by using the synergy between the preservatives. Such as the combination of phenoxyethanol and paraben.
As preservatives vary in type, nature, scope of use, price, and toxicity, the following points should be paid attention to before reasonable use.
1. Before adding preservatives, ensure that the drug is completely sterilized, and there should be no large amounts of organisms, otherwise the addition of preservatives will not have the desired effect. Such as potassium sorbate, not only will not play a role in preservative, but will become a source of nutrients for microbial reproduction.
2. Clarify the toxicity and scope of use of various preservatives, and add them in accordance with the safe use amount and scope of use.
3. Clarify the effective use environment of various preservatives. Acidic preservatives can only be used in acidic environments with strong and effective antiseptic effects, but they have little effect when used in neutral or alkaline environments, such as potassium sorbate, sodium benzoate, etc.; and the paraben esters in the ester preservatives can also be used between pH 4-8, and the effect is not bad.
4. Clarify the types of microorganisms that various preservatives can inhibit. Some preservatives are effective on molds, and some are effective on yeast. Only by mastering the characteristics of preservatives can the right medicine be prescribed.
5. Consider the price and solubility of preservatives.
CD Formulation is a leading manufacturer of excipients, serving the pharmaceutical industry to help it improve the performance of its products. We develop, produce and sell pharmaceutical excipients for solid, semi-solid and liquid dosage forms. If you have any requirements for excipients, please contact us by phone or email, and our colleagues will reply to you within 2-4 working days.